Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Train the ATRs - Don’t Tread on the ATRs!
NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND EVALUATIONS ARE UNDERWAY; EXCESSED TEACHERS HAVE BEEN SHUT OUT OF ESSENTIAL NEW TRAINING!
Bloomberg has shut down schools; he has squeezed new schools into other schools. In each case, teachers, counselors and librarians are booted into weekly rotation in the Absent Teacher Reserve.
· Unfair to committed employees that have given their careers to working in schools, sometimes in the more challenging schools.
· Unfair to students as they are deprived consistent service by familiar faces, as class sizes rise to record levels, and many students go without a regular counselor or librarian.
Training? Locked out
New teaching technologies are in use / New standards, the controversial Common Core, are used throughout the curriculum / New evaluations are under-way, yet:
· DOE alienates excessed ACRs/ATRs; UFT fails these UFT members.
· The DOE and the private, unaccountable CFNs shut us out of these trainings, or only selectively announce them, while ATRs frequently cover teachers who leave their classes for training.
· The UFT stonewalls while many ATRs appeal to them for better access to training.
Hiring? Locked out
The UFT agreed to ending the seniority transfer and weekly rotations, which expanded to include counselors and social workers in fall, 2012.
The DOE/UFT defend rotation, saying that principals get to learn about ACRs/ATRs. Yet, the DOE’s “Fair funding formula” means that principals have disincentives to hire pricier veteran teachers. They place new hires instead.
The DOE’s and the THSC’s job fairs are selectively announced; when in-service teachers do learn of them registration is very complicated with new accounts and passwords to create.
ACRs/ATRs – Disenfranchised, dues without representation
800 – 1,400 ATRs have no elected representatives. The UFT refuses to discuss remedying this.
Train the ATRs - Don’t Tread on
Contact elected public officials: go to
atrnyc.blogspot.com for email links to Bill de Blasio, John Liu, Robert Jackson, and city council members.
Email these top UFT officers: Michael Mulgrew, email@example.com and Leroy Barr, firstname.lastname@example.org and the appointed representative Amy Arundell email@example.com
ATR Chapter Committee firstname.lastname@example.org