ATRs, the unrepresented -- no elected representatives in the UFT

"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected.
"To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another."
Thomas Paine, First Principles of Government


Tuesday, May 5, 2015

My rotation assignment, my descent

An ATR writes, "My present rotation."

Amy Arundell, Mike Sill, and Michael Mulgrew,

     I am writing you to let you know that my present rotation is anything but pleasant.  I am not being abused or bullied but ignored by the staff.  I expect this from administrations, but from "fellow" teachers?  I say hello and what I usually get in return is a blank stare.  Half of these "teachers" will be gone in a few years only to be replaced with others of the same caliber.  They don't care that we are the results of a 12 year reign of terror.  They don't care that whatever we may forget they will NEVER know.  They don't care that we have been made as toxic as a super fund site.  What they do care about is how much money they may make if they stick it out for a few years.  I just had to introduce myself to the "chapter chair" in this school and she all but told me to leave.  This is what unity is about now?  Just ignore the Walking Dead and they'll be gone soon.  Is this what the union is telling them?  I surly hope not, because if we are pushed out none of you nor these so called teachers are ever going to be safe again.  We are their future, and if nothing is done to end this situation.  

  When I became a NYC teacher, back in 1995, I was so proud to be apart of a union that stood up for all teachers.  What I, and I might add, many "Walkers," have experienced over the past few years is the erosion of that union esprit de corps.  Now they are just as guilty in their treatment of us as some of the administrators. If we are to be a permanent segment and not returned to a full, appointed teacher status, as many of us know we are, the union needs to make it very plain that chapter chairs are the representatives of the UFT. If they don't care, how can we think that you care?

3 comments:

  1. Just collect your check, keep head low, and try not to get in trouble....why are you worried about somebody saying hello? This emotional bs is nauseating....you aren't going to change people and you are not going to change the system...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its unfortunate that we are not sensitive to how others are feeling. Being an ATR is not a good thing. Some of us look at it as a break or simply enjoy getting paid to do nothing. And thats fine. I happen not to like not belonging anywhere and being treated like I am leper. Its degrading. The good thing is that I have a thick skin. I grin and bear the humiliation. I also dont get greeted by many but I dont let it bother me anymore. I know who I am and what I have done for the students over the past 27 years. Ive paid my dues and then some. These people who treat you like your invisible dont realize that they can be in this boat as well. Every young person will get old. And once you accumulate the years a new Administration will come in and rules will change and you too will be faced with adversity. They just better hope that there is still a union at that time. The way that the union is going I'm not so sure.
    So, I decided to take it with a grain of salt. As long as they continue to give me a paycheck I'm good!!!! Happy Walking!!

    ReplyDelete