ATRs, the unrepresented -- no elected representatives in the UFT
"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected.
"To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another."
Thomas Paine, First Principles of Government
Sunday, June 11, 2017
Imagine this... If there is a teacher shortage, then here are the causes...
1) online education
2) unions no longer effective
3) widespread corruption in education
4) administrators are no longer educators, but "bosses with egos"
5) training doesn't match outcomes
6) educators are treated second class to students
7) charters are treating "teaching" like it's a job, not a career
8) our senior educators who are leading us are no longer in it for "education"
9) teachers who are left are not able to share their experiences, because they're being "phased out"
10) innovation to teach is being stale, because educators are becoming "processors" not "facilitators"
10) technology is replacing "hands-on" learning - it's become visual, not tactile
11) salaries from state to state doesn't match the outcome expectations
12) if admins are "far removed" from the class, then who can teachers learn from...??
13) NEW teachers don't have the "patience"
14) TRAINING has become "fend for yourself" attitude
15) students are running the show
16) teachers are "glorified" baby-sitters in some instances
17) what are the incentives when unions are no longer a priority??
18) teaching paths are no longer an incentive (teaching paths no longer exist)
19) why are teachers staying because now it's a matter of "paying bills"??
20) while RESPECT is earned, and if you're treated like a "commodity," then you're only as good as what you get or deserve....
Sadly, this profession has taken on a whole new "expectation," and if DEVOS opens the doors for more charters, then UNIONS will only be a "saving" of jobs in the public sector BUT not for the "private." Hence, "turnover" will be like any industry - a mass exodus. If students are no longer advocates for better teaching, then those teachers who are good can only get paid, but only so much because the SALARIES don't match the effort or the demand!!!!